2009-03-12

From Manager to Janitor

$70,000 a year to $25,000 a year is what a manager interviewed on
Wednesday's NBC's Nightly News has had to endure. A month before
accepting a $24,000 a year job, I had three interviews for jobs that
payed arround 70 grand. So I can relate.

I remember asking my new welfare advisor if there was anyway I could
get retroactive payments. -"No".

Rolling loonies and toonies to pay for groceries ain't so bad. Dimes
are rather efficient. But nickles? Rolling nickles is when you freak
out.

After maxing out my credit cards and getting my car repossessed, I
abandoned all pride and applied for welfare. $270 a month is a sick
joke.

Applying for welfare is humiliating but quite easy. They come over and
fill out the form for you.

-No, I am not sick. No, I don't have any addictions, yes I graduated
from high school, in fact, I have a B.Sc . Yes, I am willing to accept
any work. In fact, I had an interview yesterday for a job collecting
chickens on the night shift, an hour away. They pay per chicken. Yes,
I am aware that $270 per month will not cover my rent.

Familly helped me move to a house sitting opertunity near Moncton
where I scored a $12/hour job thanks to being bilingual. Moving 400 km
for $12/hour is a sick joke. Although welfare services did pay for gas.

But at least I had a job and could afford to go bankrupt. Quite easy
to go bankrupt when you have the debt of someone making $50,000 a year
and only make $24,000. Still, try to avoid it.

Anyway, as the guy on NBC said, "you are not alone".

2 years later I'm still in a dead end job. Got a raise in December,
but a pay cut today. I don't have a car and I live in small basement
apartment.

But I have an iPhone. When I was making 50 grand a year in my
fulfilling job, iPhones didn't even exist!

Envoyé depuis mon iPhone / Sent from my iPhone.

No comments:

Labels

Canada (204) Internet (124) TV (104) iPhone (103) World (99) Liberal Party (65) New Brunswick (44) OUI (43) Ipod touch (33) Media (33) haha (29) Bus (26) Environment (16) StreetView (16) La politique (15) Twitter (15) Travel (12) wmtc (12) Books (11) iPad (11) Gadgets (10) Cancer (7) Monde (6) tetesaclaques (6) HOC (5) Shoshana (4) Games (2) Index (1) tac (1)

Twitter Updates